Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: The Presidents Photographer Documentary

The Presidents Photographer Documentary 7 years 8 months ago #1

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Showing at various times for the next week or so, PBS is airing a documentary 'The President's Photographer: Fifty Years in the Whitehouse".

Tiffany posted a link to an article about Presidential Photographers recently - [url:37wmwjxg]www.friendlyphotozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=455[/url] Included in that were various pictures, and in that thread I stated that I wasn't very impressed with the out put from recent years.

After watching the documentary, I'm revising my opinion somewhat, I think that is was a case of poor choice of images selected for the article.

I found the documentary to be a fascinating insight.
For those of you who aren't able to watch it, here's a few tidbits: The President's photographer has a staff of other photographers working under him, one of whom is assigned exclusively to the First Lady.
The photographer covers every meeting, every event, every handshake, thirteen hour days aren't unusual, snap, snap, snapping. The photos taken are considered collectively to be a historical document and become part of the national archive, as such, none are allowed to be deleted (allegedly). The photographer and his team take between 20,000 and 80,000 images a month. The President is always the last person to board Airforce One, as far as the public is generally aware. The photographer is usually first on the plane, because he has to record the arrival of any significant passengers, he gets off to photograph the President boarding, so actually he is always the last to board. The photographer's office is what used to be the White House barbershop back in the fifties, the mirror is still there.

It is definitely worth a look if you have a chance.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The Presidents Photographer Documentary 7 years 8 months ago #2

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Damn Brit wrote:
The photos taken are considered collectively to be a historical document and become part of the national archive, as such, none are allowed to be deleted (allegedly).
:lol: I'd like to see the photographers' mutilated cameras that all have the "delete" button ripped out.

That does sound like a fascinating documentary, I'll have to try and catch it.

edit: over here, it's only on again at 1:30am tomorrow night :'( '(
Photons are your friends! :-)

The Presidents Photographer Documentary 7 years 8 months ago #3

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Caught part of it last night. It is a definite must see TV. Oh, and course there is a companion book with this.
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds