Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: In Japan, Restoring Photos For Tsunami Victims

In Japan, Restoring Photos For Tsunami Victims 6 years 9 months ago #1

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Considering how fragile photo prints can be, I find it amazing that old photographs are sometimes the only things getting saved after the disaster:

www.npr.org/2011/08/19/139747453/in-japa...-victims?ft=1&f=1001
Photons are your friends! :-)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: In Japan, Restoring Photos For Tsunami Victims 6 years 9 months ago #2

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
There is a lot to say for physical photographs. They seem to endure the ages. I wonder if digital images will be so durable?
This is really an admirable effort to restore these pictures. Maybe no one will claim them. Perhaps the owners are all gone.

Re: In Japan, Restoring Photos For Tsunami Victims 6 years 9 months ago #3

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
This always has been one of the biggest appeals of digital image work to me; not the manufacture of new images completely in the digital realm, but rather the computer's capability to restore and enhance photographs that were damaged or degraded by time in the physical world.

Re: In Japan, Restoring Photos For Tsunami Victims 6 years 8 months ago #4

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
While working in the photo lab I did more than my share of restorations, some of the pic's were pretty much 100 years old. I almost hate to brag, but towards the end I was getting pretty good at it, and the boss started charging a premium price for my work. However he also had to give me at least 2 weeks to get a pic done between customers.
I can honestly say that it's tough at times, with one of my last restorations, an Asian family, my guess is 60+ year old B&W picture around 2/3 of the fathers face was missing and almost 1/2 of the sisters face was missing. The brother hardly needed any work, no mom in the pic.
It took me almost a month to fill in the missing info, and when it was finished you could hardly tell that it had been worked on.

I don't think that Digital Prints could possibly stand up the same at this time. In the future, they might, but not now.
We've all seen digital files become corrupt for no real reason at all, so there's no way that they'll last through the disasters that prints could. Besides with Digital Files you have the chance to loose thousands of photos all at once, whereas you have a much smaller chance of loosing all your printed work instantly.
A photograph can be a Beautiful thing.

Re: In Japan, Restoring Photos For Tsunami Victims 6 years 8 months ago #5

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
I've just begun a class in image restoration and retouching using Photoshop. While I've done some work on this, I'll learn more in this class. Oddly the instruct has said that the hardest thing about it is finding bad enough images to work on. Our first efforts and meeting this request (to bring in bad ones for possible projects) met with, 'not bad enough' from the teacher. We shall see where this goes.
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds