Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Old Film Storage

Old Film Storage 5 years 6 months ago #1

• Pablo
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Hello good people.
I recently bought a pack of old Fuji Reala that expired 15 years ago and might not been stored properly throughout it's life. Usually I just store film in the closet and it turns out fine, but in this case I think a different approach might be needed.
I have regular everyday things in my house, no film storage fridge or nothing similar, so what do you think I should do with the film (before using it of course)?

Cheers
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Old Film Storage 5 years 6 months ago #2

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Pablo, at this point, it's either good or bad. You can't do anything to reverse the effects of past storage sins. I don't know this film but my experience with old color film is that there will be some shift in color. My approach would be to shoot a roll and see what you get. Don't shoot anything that you would really want as a keeper image just shoot for fun and see.

It won't hurt to throw the film in the freezer either for storage but again, that won't reverse the damage either. If you find the colors are too off for your taste you could scan the images and color correct them digitally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pablo

Old Film Storage 5 years 6 months ago #3

• Pablo
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Thanks Tim.
Talking about test rolls, just this morning I picked up a roll from the lab that I used to test my new/old Pentax Z1-p. Very good camera to use but unfortunately it has too many buttons on it and at around 10 frames in I mistakenly turned a switch that activates a panoramic mode. Basically I got most of the film with a thick black stripe on top and below each frame - so frustrating!!! Who would even use that stupid function???

OK, it's out, sorry about that.

Old Film Storage 5 years 6 months ago #4

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Um...my PZ-1p is my favorite and I do use the pano mode from time to time. On mine when in that mode, the viewfinder tells me that it's in that mode. It's really a poor man's pano and was a gimic. It's quick and dirty but, it works. Don't know how you accidentally did that either. On mine, it's a very very hard switch to activate. Well, anyway, now you know what not to do...

Old Film Storage 5 years 6 months ago #5

• Pablo
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Apparently I was shooting with a big P on the top left of the viewfinder but didn't give it a second thought.
Seeing when it started happening it appears that I flipped the switch while changing lenses. That's another issue now because I wanted to see if the Pentax DA 35/2.4 has any vignetting on film and with the panoramic mode there is no way to tell. The exposed parts are came out just fine.
Another issue with this camera that freaked me out for a few minutes is that you can choose whether the film rewinds fully or if it leaves some out (I guess if you want to develop without breaking the thing?), so when it rewinded and left some out I thought maybe it didn't expose at all. I should be more relaxed, I know...
Oh, and thanks to the black stripes I noticed slight light leaks, anyone knows how to fix that? should I bother?

Old Film Storage 5 years 6 months ago #6

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Pablo that big P was not for Pablo or Pentax but for Panorama... ;)

Yes the rewind choice is fun but again on mine you really have to work at it to get it to do that. I will say that the camera options menu is a bit of a beast to understand. I've spent hours with the manual in one hand and dials in the other getting it - my way. After that, I've never changed them.

Can't help with the light leaks. Here in the US I'd send it to Eric Henderson pentaxs.com/ to do a CLA and possible repair.

Old Film Storage 5 years 6 months ago #7

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
You can't reverse any degradation already suffered by the film, but cold storing it will help keep it at about the state it's in. As Tim says, test and see how the stuff turns out.

For my part, I tend to throw expired film at my toy camera, where additional layers of abstraction from reality is a virtue rather than a flaw.

Light leaks on old cameras are generally always the result of the foam seals reaching the natural end of their lives (and beyond). Not a big deal to replace if you find a reasonable tech. There used to be a guy who sold very reasonably-priced sealing kits on eBay for the handy folk, but I believe he stopped.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pablo

Old Film Storage 5 years 6 months ago #8

• Pablo
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Some guy in another forum said I should overexpose the film because it migt had lost it's sensitivity, does that make sense?

Old Film Storage 5 years 6 months ago #9

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Yes, it absolutely does. I forgot to mention the loss of sensitivity. Expired film is something I've shot, but not something I'm doing all the time.

Rough rule is to overexpose by at least one stop. I err on more overexposure because an overexposed negative is generally much more usable than an underexposed one in most cases.

Old Film Storage 5 years 6 months ago #10

• Pablo
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Thank you for your help.
This week I had to move and also prepare for a trip to the UK starting this weekend so didn't have much time for web posting.
I'll try overexposing the end of the film and if I get it done this week I might show you guys the results, otherwise it will have to wait a while and I'll probably just use digital abroad.
Meanwhile, this is Fuji 400H (accidental pano shots coming later):

Self Portrait by Pablo Margulies, on Flickr

F1000002 by Pablo Margulies, on Flickr

F1000003 by Pablo Margulies, on Flickr

F1000004 by Pablo Margulies, on Flickr

F1000006 by Pablo Margulies, on Flickr

F1000008 by Pablo Margulies, on Flickr

F1000009 by Pablo Margulies, on Flickr

Old Film Storage 5 years 6 months ago #11

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Color looks good in these. Nice series.

Old Film Storage 5 years 4 months ago #12

• Pablo
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
I got the Reala developed for a while now and I'm back from Scotland so here's what was cooking. I think it's quite nice, not sure I like it better than 400H but it is nice.

Old Film Storage 5 years 4 months ago #13

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Lovely color. Those brew taps are amazing.

Old Film Storage 5 years 4 months ago #14

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
very nice work Pablo!
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds