Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: My Office

My Office 7 years 2 months ago #1

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
although the weather was perfect for a few photos today, I kinda forgot to bring along a spare battery and I guess that I also forgot to charge the one in my camera. So this is one of the 2 photos I managed to snap of my rolling office beside a barn.

myoffice.jpg

The truck (Tractor) is almost ancient, compared to most companies, being a 1998 MACK, however the company rebuilds them from one end to the next every so often. As a result I am about to start my third month, without any breakdowns or even a flat tire :D

Oh, that farm has milk overflowing their bulk tank most days, and he isn't the only one on my routes.
A photograph can be a Beautiful thing.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Kelowna Artist.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: My Office 7 years 2 months ago #2

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
A very moooooooo - ving picture.

I have pictures taken about 10 years ago when I worked for Bell that involved a milk transport and a telephone pole.

Neither won that battle!

The truck driver lost control of his rig, laid it down and wiped out a pole.
Then the entire load got dumped all over the road and into the nearby swamp.
It was summertime and the milk started to sour quickly.
By midday it really stunk!
The driver survived but the truck was a mess.

Stay alert and keep the shiny side up!

Scan-10-1.jpg

Scan-10-2.jpg
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by J.Scott.

Re: My Office 7 years 2 months ago #3

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Nice shot Stu, gives a nice perspective. It makes me wonder about my daily commuter vehicle though, a 1998 GMC Sierra. It certainly hasn't been rebuilt, but had lots of parts replaced.

Jeff: Wow.. some crazy shots. Glad the driver survived.

Re: My Office 7 years 2 months ago #4

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
J.Scott wrote:
A very moooooooo - ving picture.

I have pictures taken about 10 years ago when I worked for Bell that involved a milk transport and a telephone pole.

Neither won that battle!

The truck driver lost control of his rig, laid it down and wiped out a pole.
Then the entire load got dumped all over the road and into the nearby swamp.
It was summertime and the milk started to sour quickly.
By midday it really stunk!
The driver survived but the truck was a mess.

Stay alert and keep the shiny side up!

Thanks Jeff, Just looking at the damage I'd say that speed was a factor in the accident :wth:
That is one UGLY accident. Although the outer shell of a milk truck is easily dinged up, the inner tank is really quite tough. As a result there were 2 rollovers with the company I am aware of where they just pumped the milk into another truck and hauled it to the dairy.

Thanks Tiff,
Your daily commuter vehicle probably doesn't have almost 4 million Km on it, so it probably doesn't need rebuilding yet.
In my opinion, it isn't worth it to rebuild any modern vehicle these days unless there is something special about it. To further my opinion, once a vehicle stops being reliable it's time to get rid of it or it will become a money pit (that is based on my past experience)

Re: My Office 7 years 2 months ago #5

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Kelowna Artist wrote:
Your daily commuter vehicle probably doesn't have almost 4 million Km on it, so it probably doesn't need rebuilding yet.
Not 4 million, no, but it's more than halfway to a million km! :w00t: And the engine's never been opened up.
Photons are your friends! :-)

Re: My Office 7 years 2 months ago #6

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
I'd have to agree with you Stu, I'm sure the driver of that damaged milk transport was going too fast for the conditions. As you can see it was very foggy. Not seen in any of the pictures are the train track which are directly behind the photographer (me). Sharp turn, level railway crossing, foggy, very early in the morning (3 AM); all the factors added up against him!

By the way, I took those pictures with a disposable camera and scanned them using an older Epson flatbed scanner. Not the best quality. Part of my pre-digital era!
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by J.Scott.

Re: My Office 7 years 2 months ago #7

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Friendly Photon wrote:
Kelowna Artist wrote:
Not 4 million, no, but it's more than halfway to a million km! :w00t: And the engine's never been opened up.
That is pretty impressive for a normal vehicle. I knew someone else with a Ford 1 ton who almost reached a million without pulling anything. That truck had a Pre-Turbo 7.3L, and a turbocharged unit would rarely see that kinda mileage.

Re: My Office 7 years 2 months ago #8

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
J.Scott wrote:
I'd have to agree with you Stu, I'm sure the driver of that damaged milk transport was going too fast for the conditions. As you can see it was very foggy. Not seen in any of the pictures are the train track which are directly behind the photographer (me). Sharp turn, level railway crossing, foggy, very early in the morning (3 AM); all the factors added up against him!

By the way, I took those pictures with a disposable camera and scanned them using an older Epson flatbed scanner. Not the best quality. Part of my pre-digital era!
Pretty impressive for a disposable camera Jeff,

Early mornings are the normal for the occupation. I will be starting at 4:30am twice next week, and hauling to the Dairyland plant. (I usually haul to Lucerne at the end of the day)

I can pretty much say, it was the sharp turn that caused the accident. Our tanks have no baffles within, so the milk is constantly sloshing around and moving the entire truck around. Just coming up to a stop can cause pretty much tidal waves within the tank, and when they come to a stop it feels like we were just rear-ended. My driving has become a lot smoother, working with the load instead of against it.
We can't have baffles within our tanks, because there is no real way to sterilize the unit with them in.
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds