Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: My Hawaiian Vacation

My Hawaiian Vacation 6 years 10 months ago #1

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
I'm getting on top of my images from my recent concluded week on the north shore of Oahu, Hawaii and thought that members might like a view at some of my better shots from the trip. This was my first visit to Hawaii since 2003 and the first time there since my rediscovery of photography. I've got some images worked up from the first few days and will post more as I work through them. I went there with my usual 3 cameras, a Pentax K5, an IR converted Pentax K100ds, and for snorkeling and otherwise wet conditions, a Pentax Optio W80 underwater P&S camera. I went light on lenses and only took 5: 16-50, 18-250, 40, 12-24, and an 18-55 kit lens for the IR camera.

Anyway, we stayed at my sister-in-law's condo at the Turtle Bay Resort on just about the northern point of the island of Oahu. Most of my previous trips in the 1990's to Hawaii, courtesy of the United States Navy Reserve had been to Pearl Harbor and while I was familiar with the north shore of Oahu, I really hadn't spent so much time there. All in all, as it's really the 'Country' on Oahu, it's an amazing area and I'm glad I went. Enough talk on to the story.

As we had a morning flight out of Oakland Airport, we had to get up around 3:30am and waited at a local hotel to catch the airporter.

1-Waiting

_IGP8410 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

2-Our winged chariot

_IGP8415 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

3-Island in site! (in camera HDR!)

_IGP8429 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

4-Our condo (3rd floor center of the image), yes I know, life's tough...

_IGP8432 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: My Hawaiian Vacation 6 years 10 months ago #2

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
5-First look at possible fun center

_IGP8431 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

6-First Hawaiian Sunset of the trip (that's not me in the shot but as Turtle Bay is a prominent wedding destination, you see lots of couples there taking it all in)

_IGP8435_6_7_8_9 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

7-Lower

_IGP8450_1_2_3_4 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

8-Last look

_IGP8473_5 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr
Last Edit: 6 years 10 months ago by blackcloudbrew.

Re: My Hawaiian Vacation 6 years 10 months ago #3

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
Hawaii is on my 'bucket list' of places I'd love to visit.
The sunset pics are calling out to me! :cool:

Keep 'em coming!

(Oh, and I completely empathize with you on the whole flying experience.
It used to fun - part of the adventure of the vacation.
Now flights are just so much drudgery.
Hurry up, then wait for hours.
The invasion of privacy and the whole pre-boarding procedure is humiliating.
I think American and Canadian security checks are excessive.
Not unnecessary mind you, but they just go too far.
A few years back - post 9/11 - I flew out of Panama to Nicaragua.
The flight offered us a meal; which was great as I was starved at that point.
However, the food was unremarkable, but what really astounded me was that it was served with real metal cutlery!
Including a sharp steak knife to cut through the sinewy beef entree.
There was no fear, or even the assumption of a threat, that someone could use the knife for nefarious means. It kind of left the whole 'terrorist on a plane' theory back on the runway.
Sorry for rambling.)
Last Edit: 6 years 10 months ago by J.Scott.

Re: My Hawaiian Vacation 6 years 10 months ago #4

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Those sunset pics are gorgeous, the tree silhouette is especially appealing. Looks like you had a great time during your vacation!

My parents have a time share in Hawaii... someday, I'll have to swindle them out of it for a summer.
Photons are your friends! :-)

Re: My Hawaiian Vacation 6 years 10 months ago #5

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
JS - Like I said, the US Navy Reserve felt that in the 1990's I needed to go to Oahu and Pearl Harbor once each year whether I wanted to or not for two weeks. Given that I was typically in a building with no windows and would only have evenings and one weekend off, my free time was limited but...I made the best of it. Living on the West Coast, Hawaii is our Caribbean / Bahamas / Bermuda. It's a 5 hour flight and 3 time zones but it's always endurable. However, don't get me started on airport security! I traveled a lot for business between 1985 and 1995 including 3 long international assignments. In the 1980's airlines were fantastic and fun. By the 1990's they were one cut above an old bus. Now I'd rather take the old bus and avoid the gestapo tactics of the TSA. I did learn one thing, that if you are 75 or older now, you can request (in advance) not to be full body searched! Wow, a new age barrier to reach! Anyway, I do digress but if I don't have to fly somewhere, I wont. What a lot of crap. Oh and the charging for this and that. I'm now humming the song of the innkeeper from Le Miz in the airport. More crap. and yes, I feel much better now, thanks.

Hawaii is (with the exception of the worst in the US traffic status of Honolulu) a really wonderful place to visit and to return to. Living there is...well...the worst of both worlds, you can't make a lot of money there and everything costs much more than everywhere else...but you can surf any day that you like and the whole place is surrounded by beaches.

Re: My Hawaiian Vacation 6 years 10 months ago #6

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Ah, my tropical place of birth that so many näive outsiders think is a marvelous, friendly paradise.

Yes, I was born in Honolulu.

No, I do not have any regrets I grew up in rainy Washington State instead of sunny Hawaii.

Tim, having lived there as a Navy man you know something of what I mean, but I do not get the impression you raised any children there. That.. is the Hawaii most people do not imagine.

My parents and sisters lived in Hawaii for many years, and many of my father's students are from there. Give any of them a chance, and they'll regale you with tales of their brutal youth filled with armed internecine ethnic (and non-ethnic as well) conflicts. Private school changed nothing, as private school was just an arena for internecine friction between the scions of more affluent families. One of my father's students attended private school in Honolulu, but nevertheless carried weapons to school for "Kill Haole Day." Not serious in a literal sense, but it was a day of beat-downs.

Even my sisters, two of them now married and with children, got into fistfights at school.

Back in the 60's, my father got flack for teaching Chinese martial arts to non-Chinese.

In 1979, the first time I was back in Hawaii, I was wandering around the ground of a (out of session) school when a boy twice my size and probably 9 years my senior threatened to kick my ass. I was five. I hadn't done anything and there was nobody else around. I walked on by with no incident. I don't think it was personal, but if I'd lingered, I don't doubt he would've at least knocked me over to preemptively assert dominance. It was a kind of saber rattling necessary for survival there. He had no idea I wasn't local.

Then there's the stories about Samoans, but that wanders farther into hearsay. Suffice to say, the stories are impressive. Impressively violent.

Hawaii. Nice scenery. They can keep it.

Re: My Hawaiian Vacation 6 years 10 months ago #7

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Wow, Kill Haole (that's hawaiian for foreigners of any sort) Day! Figures. I know the difference between 'just visitin' and living there. I'm happy to visit but that's about it.
Last Edit: 6 years 10 months ago by blackcloudbrew.

Re: My Hawaiian Vacation 6 years 10 months ago #8

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Our first full day in Hawaii and the one after it were spent 1) recovering from jet lag, 2) get wet in various places, and 3) do a bit of exploring of our locale. We hiked around the resort on some nice trails along the beaches and golf courses, went to a farmer's market, and visited the North Shore towns of Haleiwa (holly eva) and Waialua (Y a lua).

9-IR shot of the view from our balcony

IMGP3954-Edit by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

10-View across the real Turtle Bay and resort hotel.

_IGP8496 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

11-My texture shot of the trip. Lava patterns.

_IGP8499 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

12-WWII blockhouse on "Protection Point" echos of a past war.

_IGP8500 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

12-Requisite morning crab shot

_IGP8508 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

Re: My Hawaiian Vacation 6 years 10 months ago #9

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
13-Farmer's Market flowers

_IGP8510 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

14-Sea Asparagus - the things they sell at farmer's markets - hey they were really quite salty and good.

_IGP8512 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

15-Tropical fruit color

_IGP8513 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

16-Inside of a Bagasse burner at an old sugar mill. These were used to create heat from burning sugar cane. Very dirty from an air pollution stand point. It now houses a soap factory - yes we bought some soap too.

_IGP8521 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

17-Coco pods on the trees

_IGP8527 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

18-Drying the coco beans (mmmm...the air smells nice here!)

_IGP8525 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

19-Coco from the pods.

_IGP8531 by blackcloudbrew, on Flickr

Re: My Hawaiian Vacation 6 years 10 months ago #10

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
These are some great pics Tim, and glad you and your wife had a good time!

Leigh: Wow, I had no idea. I can see why you were happy to grow up where you did.
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds