Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: I just got explored on Flickr

I just got explored on Flickr 2 years 11 months ago #1

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Well, for those of you who are Flickr members, having one of your images be selected by 'Explore' is a mark of something - not sure of what but I have to consider it very cool. I've been a member since Spring 2008 and have put up more than 8,000 images on Flickr and never had one be explored. I don't mean to put explore down but sometimes the images selected defy logic as to why they are selected. Don't know what did it this time but it this image I took at a local car show last Saturday, and posted yesterday. Ok, it's HDR and the kind of image I have fun playing with a bit. I shot this on my K3 and used my DA 10-17 fisheye. Oddly this lens was the first lens I bought for my old K10d back in 2008 after I realized that my kit lens and cheap telephoto lens that came with the camera were not giving me new vision. The DA 10-17 was perhaps the start of my LBA problem but it helped me 'see' differently and rekindled my passion for photography. Very cool. :cool:

_IMG2861_2_3_4_5 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I just got explored on Flickr 2 years 11 months ago #2

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
That's a really cool shot! Great use of a fisheye. I've played around with J.Scott's 10-17mm fisheye before, and I've been wanting one of my own ever since, but it's one of the very few lenses I never bought.

Not being a Flickr-er, I also have no clue what "Explore" means. I never really got into the whole photo sharing and posting thing, despite trying a bunch of times. Couldn't figure out what the appeal was. Maybe someday I'll finally clue in.
Photons are your friends! :-)

I just got explored on Flickr 2 years 11 months ago #3

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
I love the ultra wide lenses and now own ? a bunch of lenses between 8-24mm. The DA 10-17 started all of that for me. I have to say that if they made the DA 10-17 in sliver, you'd have bought it a long time ago.

I got hooked on Flickr in 2008 by my daughter Amanda. It was, and still is, a fun place to post my images and see and share images with others. As you know, there are now numerous such places on the web. If I were starting to post today, I might make other choices but I'm more a a creature of habit and so Flickr for better or worse and also with it's periodic weird updates it's still very useful. The explore deal is kinda mythical for flickr users because it's generally unknown how images get selected. There are theories. Anywho, getting selected is kind of a shock as the first thing you notice is that your image gets LOTS of views. This went to well over 800 views within a matter of hours. That's a lot for me and I don't think I have any of my 8,000 images anywhere near that in views.

Views give you some general idea of how good your image is, and is a nice feedback for my ego - and no doubt for others as well. So that may be a bit more insight in to this.

I just got explored on Flickr 2 years 11 months ago #4

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
A car show is a great excuse to slap on the ol' big-eye and have some fun!

You're camped out 6 inches from the grill and observers must be thinking, '...what the hell is that moron taking a picture of?" But the results are nothing short of extraordinary!

I love this shot!

(Father's Day 'Show and Shine' in Capreol this Sunday. I'll be there!)
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by J.Scott.

I just got explored on Flickr 2 years 11 months ago #5

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Great, we want pictures!

I just got explored on Flickr 2 years 11 months ago #6

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Congrats, Tim! Yes, getting on Flickr Explore is rather mythic and the criteria ill-defined at best, but it's still kind of thrilling the first time. I've been on Flickr for ten years and only a couple of my early shots got on Explore. Did not especially explode my views in that case.

Nice shot, in any case. Car jaws! I personally believe the fisheye is a prince among lenses that most people just fail to appreciate.

I just got explored on Flickr 2 years 10 months ago #7

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Regarding the appeal of sites like Flickr, at first it was just an easy way for me to share my photos. Ten years ago, your choices were a lot more limited if you lacked the time and inclination to customize your own web-based solution. Nowadays, there's much better options for friends & family sharing within a limited circle, but Flickr provides some limited amounts of feedback from the great pool of strangers and that's a kind of motivation and insight for me.

One thing the great pool of strangers looking at your photos brings is some surprises as to which your photos has appeal and give perspective on how you're evolving as a photographer, as well as what really matters far as getting good photos. Shots you think people will like may not get many views, while stuff you almost didn't post can get explode, or at least get comparatively a lot of attention.

After ten years on Flickr, my most popular and most viewed photos are not what I would ever have expected.

A few facts and figures about my top 10 most viewed photos on Flickr:

They were taken by six different cameras, but none with my "best" digital camera, my Nikon D700. Most viewed photo taken by my D700 is all the way down at #35.
The most recent is from June 2013. It is of a burger & fries.
The oldest is from October 2004. It is of a lineup of mannikins.
8 are digital and 2 are film.
Both film shots were taken by the same camera, a medium format Fuji GA645, which is not my most used film camera at all.
Both film shots are B&W, but on different films on different occasions.
I no longer own two of the cameras and two of the lenses used for some of these shots.
Of the ten photos, I personally would have only thought two worthy of any of this attention, and they are #5 and #9.

Some of my takeaway from all this is that my even though I wasn't as skilled before, shooting more yielded more interesting photos than now, when I'm arguably a better photographer but shooting much less. My hardware also seems to have very limited impact beyond a certain point. While most of my popular shots were taken with DSLRs, most were taken by my very first one, a Nikon D40.

Tim? Care to share some tidbits about your most viewed? Anybody else?

I just got explored on Flickr 2 years 10 months ago #8

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Hmmmm...yep, I'll take a whack at this in a bit as it will take some analysis on my part. Flickr provides some quick info on this but it has to be digested a bit. For a long time my most viewed image was one of my oldest images. Meaning that it wasn't good photography just more the duration it was visible. However that's changed in the past few years. Anyway, I'll do some further looking into this and get back to you.
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds